- This event has passed.
Value Chain Development Training on 13th – 17th August 2018
13 August @ 08:00 - 17 August @ 17:00
A value chain can is a set of linked activities that work to add value to a product. It consists of actors and actions that improve a product while linking commodity producers to processor sand markets. In agriculture, this includes activities such as product design, production, marketing, distribution and support services up to the final consumer.
A market linkage is comprised of one or more organizations that facilitate end to end integration of the entire supply chain, it provides necessary infrastructure, supply inputs, provide capacity building and by back the finished products This training programme is therefore designed to help the farmers and all other stakeholders in agriculture to develop sustainable value chains.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is intended for various actors in Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Learn basic skills in value chains.
- Understand the need for connecting farmers to market.
- Understand and apply the value chain implantation tools.
- Understand the role of value chain approach in development.
- Understand value chain development process.
- Understand the nature of agricultural markets and products.
OUTLINE OF TOPICS TO BE COVERED IN THE PROGRAM
Module 1: Introduction
- Basic definitions and concepts in value chains
- How has value chains been used
- Analyzing and evaluating value chains
- Limitations of value chain analysis
- Implications of the operating environment beyond the value chain
Module 2: Value chain development
- Value chain development process
- Value chain intervention selection and design
- Integrating the role of women and rural poor in value chains
- Strengths & constraints analysis
- Risk Identification and Management
- Role of technology in value chains
Module 3: Linking farmers to markets
- Nature of agricultural goods
- Structure of agricultural markets
- Types of market linkages
- Role of Middlemen
- Need for linking farmers to markets
- Institutional role in building and sustaining linkages
Module 4: Value chain Implementation Tools
- Designing strategies and business plan
- Developing new businesses
- Supplying the market – Aligning supply to match market opportunity
- Reaching the market – market positioning and market opportunities
- Improving the business and policy environment
- Monitoring results in value chain development
- Case studies
Module 5: Value Chain and development agenda
- Agricultural value chains and development agenda
- Drivers of commercial agriculture and the importance of value chains
- Opportunities and threats of trade and market growth
- Comparisons of agricultural productivity in developing countries
- Key elements for effective value chain development
- Instruments to Foster value chains
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Tel: +254 (0) 739167709.