- This event has passed.
Training on Mobile Data Collection using ODK (June 18, 2018 – June 22, 2018)
18 June @ 08:30 - 22 June @ 16:30
About the Course
Advances in information technology have opened exciting new avenues for how research is conducted and data collected, with huge implications to monitoring and evaluation (M&E). One of these advances is the use of Mobile Data Collection (MDC). Instead of collecting data on paper using a pen, which is then manually entered into a database for analysis, data is input into a device which is then capable of exporting directly into a centralized database for processing and analysis.
Open Data Kit (ODK) is a suite of tools that allows data collection using Android mobile devices and data submission to an online server. This training will equip the participants with skills to author, field and manage mobile data collection platform using ODK.
This course is aimed at organizational staffs who are conducting field data collection activities.
What you will learn
By the end of the training the participants will be able to:
- Create survey forms using Build or XLSForms
- Upload forms to an Aggregate server
- Load forms into Collect on an Android device
- Use Collect to fill out forms with participants
- Upload survey data from Collect to Aggregate
- Analyse or export data in Aggregate
Introduction to Mobile Data Collection
- Introduction to mobile phone data collection
- Common mobile based data collection platforms
- Advantages of Mobile Applications
- Data aggregation, storage, and dissemination
- Understanding question types forming a questionnaire
Introduction to Open Data Kit (ODK)
- Components of Open Data Kit (ODK)
- ODK Form
- ODK Collect Application Interface
- ODK Aggregate
- ODK Manage
- ODK platforms and formats
- Downloading and install ODK Collect into mobile devices or using APK file
Designing and Creating forms using ODK Build
- Creating ODK Collect Forms
- Downloading forms;
- Creating ODK Data Collect Form using Excel
- Creating and Publishing forms to Agregate or XML
- Designing forms directly on:
- ODK Build
- Koboform builder
Creating and Designing XLS form
- Introduction to XLS forms syntax
- Creating XLS forms manually
- Constraints & Skips
- Validate Form
- ODK Collect Installation and Setup
- ODK Collect Menus, Settings and Security
- Form Management in Collect
- Best practices for ODK Collect
ODK Aggregate Server
- Setting up own aggregate server using Google App Engine
- Configuring ODK Aggregate Server
- How to Create Own Server
- Uploading the form to aggregate server
- Submitting completed data to aggregate server
- Exporting data from ODK Aggregate as CSV
- Importing ODK – CSV file into statistical applications
Visualizing Geographic Data
- Downloading data directly from Aggregate
- Outputting data through;
- Google Spreadsheet
- Google Fusion Tables
- Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion Tables
- Exporting GPS data for Mapping/Visualizing (fusion map)
- Exporting data to Fusion Tables using QGIS
This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more:
The training will be conducted at Devimpact Institute Training Centre, Nairobi Kenya.
The training fee covers tuition fees, learning materials, and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.
Payment should be sent to our bank account before start of training and proof of payment sent to
|Event Date||June 18,2018, 8:30 am|
|Event End Date||June 22,2018, 4:30 pm|
|Cut off date||June 15,2018, 5:00 pm|