- This event has passed.
Training on Environmental Impact Assessment, Auditing, Monitoring and Reporting. On 14/01/2019-25/01/2019
14 January - 25 January
Environmental impact assessment has become an important integral tool for predicting and mitigating adverse effect of a project on the environment. In the recent past, there has been adoption and promulgation of environmental laws that mandates prior EIA study on projects before their commencement in most developed countries. Developing countries have also embraced this preventive science and enacted laws to protect and preserve their environment. In Kenya, institutions and organizations intending to carry out development projects are mandated by the Environmental Management and Co-ordination Act, 1999 to undertake an Environmental Impact Assessment study for the project and obtain a license prior to the project kick off.
This course is meant to equip project staff and stakeholders with the relevant skills on the best practices and standards for Environmental impact assessment studies and the application of the study results in project planning and decision making.
- Project coordinators/ Directors/ Administrators
- Stakeholders in various government and non- governmental departments
After the completion of the course, the participants will be able to;
- Undertake EIA projects and compile reports.
- Understand the legal framework for EIA
- Use EIA as a decision-making tool in project planning and management
- Understand the Environmental Management Systems standards and Best management practices in EIA
- Understand and involve stakeholders in EIA process
- Policy framework for EIA
- Social context in EIA
- Institutional framework and EIA
- Legal framework for EIA
- Building institutional capacity
- Environmental Management Systems standards and Best management practices
- Screening for EIA projects
- Prediction and mitigation
- Management and monitoring
- Stakeholder and public participation in EIA/EA
- Managing uncertainty
- Environmental impact assessment reports, dissemination and use
- Multi-sectorial Case studies
- Participants should be reasonably proficient in the English language.
- Strong understanding of scientific principles.