Remote Sensing and GIS for Public Health and Epidemiology Course
25 November - 6 December
Course Date: 25th November- 06th December, 2019 for 10 Days
Organizer: Foscore Development Center
Course Fee: $ 2,000
Epidemiology seeks to determine associations between exposure risk and disease that are spatially dependent. Public health focuses on the health of populations rather than of individuals and focuses more on prevention of health problems. These efforts fall naturally within the domain of problems requiring use of spatial analysis as part of the solution, and GIS and other spatial analysis tools are therefore recognized as providing potentially transformational capabilities for Epidemiology and public health efforts.
This course is to link common public health questions with appropriate statistical procedures; to offer a strong conceptual grounding in several important statistical procedures; and to describe how to interpret the results from the statistics in ways that are principled and will be persuasive to intended audiences using simple software tools. Statistics are a mainstay in the toolkit of public health professionals. Human memory being what it is, however, even Public health professionals with reasonable statistical training, over the years, often forget the basics. If professionals are going to make sensible use of consultants, communicate effectively with funders, and understand others’ reports, then they often need at least a conceptual understanding of relatively complex, recently developed statistical techniques.
Our main goal is to help the participants acquire hands-on skills in use of Geographic Information System (GIS) as a tool to capture, store, analyze, manage, and visualize disease cases data that is geographically linked. The participants will also acquire statistical data analysis skills.
- To present to participants all data-related aspects of a GIS, such as the data models in GIS, data input, data editing, data visualization, metadata and managing a spatial database.
- To develop Understanding on the different components of a GIS and the role GIS plays in solving epidemiological and public health problems.
- Establish understanding on how to work with spatial data and GIS techniques to solve epidemiology and public health problems.
- To Carry out advanced analyses of geographical data with specific reference to epidemiological related issues
- To improve data management and analysis skills of the participants
- To perform spatial and temporal epidemiological and public health analysis using GIS.
- To expose participants to data capture, input, manipulation and display by GIS
- To explain to the participants role of GIS as a decision support system in public health
- To demonstrate to participants use of GIS in mapping health facilities and projects.
Epidemiology and public health concepts and frameworks
- Introduction to Epidemiology and public health concepts
- Introduction to GIS in Epidemiology and public health context
- Planning for a GIS system installation
- GIS Data sources for Epidemiology and public health
- Working with a GIS software
Mobile Data Collection Technology
- Mobile Data Collection using ODK and KoBoToolbox technology
GIS data management in epidemiology and public health
- Public health and epidemiology GIS Database creation
- Data Types and Data Sources in Epidemiology and public health
- Working with GIS Data
- Working with data from different sources (databases, shapefiles and spreadsheets)
- Facilitated Practical exercises in working with GIS Data
- Styling and symbolization
Spatial mapping and Visualization in Epidemiology and Public health
- Mapping Project activities
- GIS mapping of priority public health problems (HIV and AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis)
- GIS mapping of Most At Risk Populations (MARPS)
- GIS Mapping of health facilities and health resources
GIS for monitoring in Epidemiology and public health
- GIS in Disease transmission and progression mapping
- GIS as a Decision Support System for Public Health Management (What, where, when, how and why analysis – case studies)
- Use of GIS in Epidemiology and Health Related Disaster Management (case studies or practical)
- GIS in Environmental management and Public health (case studies or practical)
Participatory GIS and use of mobile GIS
- Participatory GIS in public health
- Use of mobile GIS in health surveillance and assessments
- Integrating GIS into Electronic Medical Records (case studies or practical?)
Basic statistical data analysis for Epidemiology and Public health
- Introduction to excel
- Preparing data for analysis
- Creating a list
- Manipulating data using formulas
- Outlining and Sorting data
- Entering Data: Data Forms
- Finding Records Using Criteria
- Filtering Data
- Data Auditing
- Data validation
Graphs, Charts and Line Graphs
- Bar Charts
- Statistical Data Analysis with Excel Presentation using Pivot charts
- Descriptive Statistics
- Pivot tables
- Probability Distribution
- Hypothesis tests
- Analyses of Variance
- Measures of Precision
- Single Factor Experiments
- Factorial Experiments
- Regression Analysis
Data Quality reporting
- All our courses can be Tailor-made to participants needs
- The participant must be conversant with English
- Presentations are well guided, practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are expert with more than 10years of experience.
- Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with Foscore development center certificate (FDC-K)
- Training will be done at Foscore development center (FDC-K) center in Nairobi Kenya. We also offer more than five participants training at requested location within Kenya, more than ten participant within east Africa and more than twenty participant all over the world.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training. Participants will be responsible for their own travel expenses and arrangements, airport transfers, visa application dinners, health/accident insurance and other personal expenses.
- Accommodation, pickup, freight booking and Visa processing arrangement, are done on request, at discounted prices.
- One year free Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
- Register as a group of more than two and enjoy discount of (10% to 50%) plus free five hour adventure drive to the National game park.
- Payment should be done two week before commence of the training, to FOSCORE DEVELOPMENT CENTER account, so as to enable us prepare better for you.
- For any enquiry to: or +254712260031
- Website: fdc-k.org
- Click to view course content and request for Invoice and Invitation letter using this link
- Click to view GIS calendar 2019
- Click to view All Courses calendar 2018-2019