- This event has passed.
Launch of the Sphere Handbook 2018 – Cox’s Bazar
Opening Session of the Sphere Handbook 2019 Launch
Moderator: Ms. Disha Sonata Faruque, Coordinator, Emergencies and Displacement Unit, IOM Bangladesh
- 10:30 – 10:40 Welcome Speech by Mr. Giorgi Gigauri, Chief of Mission, IOM Bangladesh
- 10:40 – 10:55 Presentation on Sphere by Ms. Christine Knudsen, Executive Director, Sphere
Presentation will discuss the evolution of the sphere project, key features of sphere handbook, and the consultative process that contributes to the handbook 2018
- 10:55 – 11:00 Speech from the Special Guest (TBD)
- 11:00 – 11:05 Speech from the Chief Guest, Mr. Faizur Raman, Additional Secretary – Planning and Development, Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief, Bangladesh
- 11:05 – 11:10 Official Launching of the Sphere Handbook 2018
Stage ceremony and handout of the handbook
- 11:10 – 11:20 Q&A with the Press
- 11:20 – 11:45 Coffee Break
Technical Session 1: Panel discussion on the Sphere Handbook
Moderator: Mr. Tanaji Sen, Sphere Board Memeber
- 11:45 – 12:15 Technical Presentation on Sphere by Ms. Christine Knudsen, Executive Director, Sphere
The presentation will highlight on the changes in the handbook, inclusion of additional chapters, guidance notes etc.
- 12:15 – 13:00 Panel discussion and reflections on the new version of the Handbook and Sphere
Mr. Mohammad Abul Kalam, Additional Secretary, Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner
Mr. A.K.M. Musha, Country Director, Concern Worldwide, Bangladesh / INGO representative (TBC)
Mr. Manuel Moniz Pereira, Deputy Chief of Mission – Emergency, IOM Bangladesh
Mr. Gawher Nayeem Wahra, Sphere Community Bangladesh
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lunch
Technical Session 2: Contextualizing Sphere for the Rohingya response & Bangladesh
Moderator: Margo Baars, Senior Coordinator, ISCG
- 14:00 – 14:30 Introduction and overview of the session
- 14:30 – 16:00 Breakout groups
Shelter and settlements (Led by IOM)
Protection (Led by UNHCR)
Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene promotion (Led by UNICEF)
Food Security and Nutrition (Led by WFP)
Health (Led by WHO)
Groups will be facilitated by Sector Coordinators and Co-Coordinators.
Each group will discuss the following questions:
1. How have targets been contextualized to the Rohingya refugee response context, in comparison to the Sphere targets?
2. Are there any standards in which we may be aiming too low, or too high in this context?
3. Are there any key actions or guidance that appear in the new handbook, that may not have not been fully considered in the context of this response?
- 16:00 – 16:15 Coffee break
- 16:15 – 17:00 Open Discussion
- 17:00 – 17:15 Closing remarks by Mr. Manuel Moniz Pereira, Deputy Chief of Mission – Emergency, IOM Bangladesh