- This event has passed.
GIS for Monitoring and Evaluation Training
30 July 2018 - 3 August 2018
GIS is a computer system capable of assembling, storing, manipulating and displaying geographically referenced information, i.e. data identified according to their locations. This training will present a practical guide for using a geographic information system (GIS) integrated with Monitoring and Evaluation.
The five days training is aimed at helping development partners to monitor and evaluate the activities of specific projects intended to support M&E systems for sustainable programs and projects. The use of GIS in monitoring and Evaluation improves the effectiveness and communications of results to management, funding partners, and beneficiaries.
The integration of GIS in monitoring and Evaluation makes it possible to link, or integrate information that is difficult to associate through any other means. With GIS M&E/Researchers are able to use combinations of mapped variables to build and analyze new variables. Presenting data in the form of a map helps to understand the significance of where, when, and by whom. By using the GIS to link data from multiple programs the training will make it possible to understand the individual programs better but also better understand the relationship between the programs. Spatial analysis techniques will also help with driving outcomes measures.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is designed for representatives from government, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc, that are typically employed as project managers and directors, M&E specialists, technical specialists, and researchers.
The training will enable participants to;
- Understand Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Systems
- Understand key concepts in M&E and GIS
- Learn how to developing an M&E-GIS System
- Learn about the working of M&E information management systems
- Learn how to collect data using mobile phones and GPS
- Learn how to integrate existing M&E data with GIS
- Learn how to analyze and visualize M&E data with the aid of GIS techniques
- Learn how to integrate GIS into M&E activities
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Module one: An Overview of GIS and Monitoring and Evaluation
- Introduction to M&E
- Key components of M&E
- Basic GIS Concepts
- GIS Software; the General Overview
- Open Source GIS Software
Module 2: New technologies being adopted in project M&E
- Mobile phones in M&E
- GPS devices and M&E
- Participatory videos for M&E
- Supporting bottom-up learning
- Making real-time M&E a reality through ICT
- Examples of M&E systems incorporating GIS
Module three: The GIS Interface
- The QGIS Interface
- Adding Vector Data
- Exploring the Map View
- Exploring Features
- Adding Raster Data
- Saving Your Project
Module four: Geographic Analysis of M&E data
- Creating New Project from Existing One
- Geoprocessing Shapefiles
- Joining and Mapping Attribute Data
- Plotting Coordinate Data
- Running Statistics and Querying Attributes
- Drawing Buffers and Making Selections
- Screen Captures
Module Five: Thematic Mapping of M&E data
- Transforming Map Projections
- More Geoprocessing
- Creating Calculated Fields
- Classifying and Symbolizing Data
- Designing Maps
- Adding Labels
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: training @versedpro.com