- This event has passed.
GIS for Monitoring and Evaluation Course
22 October - 26 October
Event Date: 22nd – 26th, October 2018
Organizer: Foscore Development Center
GIS is a computer system capable of assembling, storing, manipulating and displaying geographically referenced information, i.e. data identified according to their locations. This training will present a practical guide for using a geographic information system (GIS) integrated with Monitoring and Evaluation.
The five days training is aimed at helping development partners to monitor and evaluate the activities of specific projects intended to support M&E systems for sustainable programs and projects. The use of GIS in monitoring and Evaluation improves the effectiveness and communications of results to management, funding partners, and beneficiaries.
The integration of GIS in monitoring and Evaluation makes it possible to link, or integrate information that is difficult to associate through any other means. With GIS M&E/Researchers are able to use combinations of mapped variables to build and analyze new variables. Presenting data in the form of a map helps to understand the significance of where, when, and by whom. By using the GIS to link data from multiple programs the training will make it possible to understand the individual programs better but also better understand the relationship between the programs. Spatial analysis techniques will also help with driving outcomes measures.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is designed for representatives from government, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc, that are typically employed as project managers and directors, M&E specialists, technical specialists, and researchers.
The training will enable participants to;
- Understand Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Systems
- Understand key concepts in M&E and GIS
- Learn how to developing an M&E-GIS System
- Learn about the working of M&E information management systems
- Learn how to collect data using mobile phones and GPS
- Learn how to integrate existing M&E data with GIS
- Learn how to analyze and visualize M&E data with the aid of GIS techniques
- Learn how to integrate GIS into M&E activities
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Section one: An Overview of GIS and Monitoring and Evaluation
- Introduction to M&E
- Key components of M&E
- Basic GIS Concepts
- GIS Software; the General Overview
- Open Source GIS Software
Section 2: New technologies being adopted in project M&E
- Mobile phones in M&E
- GPS devices and M&E
- Participatory videos for M&E
- Supporting bottom-up learning
- Making real-time M&E a reality through ICT
- Examples of M&E systems incorporating GIS
Section 3: The GIS Interface
- The QGIS Interface
- Adding Vector Data
- Exploring the Map View
- Exploring Features
- Adding Raster Data
- Saving Your Project
Section 4: Geographic Analysis of M&E data
- Creating New Project from Existing One
- Geoprocessing Shapefiles
- Joining and Mapping Attribute Data
- Plotting Coordinate Data
- Running Statistics and Querying Attributes
- Drawing Buffers and Making Selections
- Screen Captures
Section 5: Thematic Mapping of M&E data
- Transforming Map Projections
- More Geoprocessing
- Creating Calculated Fields
- Classifying and Symbolizing Data
- Designing Maps
- Adding Labels
- All our courses can be Tailor-made to participants needs
- The participant must be conversant with English
- Presentations are well guided, practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are expert with more than 10years of experience.
- Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with Foscore development center certificate (FDC-K)
- Training will be done at Foscore development center (FDC-K) center in Nairobi Kenya. We also offer more than five participants training at requested location within Kenya, more than ten participant within east Africa and more than twenty participant all over the world.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training. Participants will be responsible for their own travel expenses and arrangements, airport transfers, visa application dinners, health/accident insurance and other personal expenses.
- Accommodation, pickup, freight booking and Visa processing arrangement, are done on request, at discounted prices.
- One year free Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
- Register as a group of more than two and enjoy discount of (10% to 50%) plus free five hour adventure drive to the National game park, in Nairobi.
- Payment should be done two week before commence of the training, to FOSCORE DEVELOPMENT CENTER account, so as to enable us prepare better for you.
- For any inquiry at: or +254712260031
- Website: www.fdc-k.org
- Training Venue: Meridian Hotel, Nairobi Kenya
- Course Fee: USD: 1000 | EURO: 900 | KSH: 70,000