GIS Disease Surveillance Monitoring Training
11 March - 22 March
This course is technically designed to suit professionals in the job market through imparting practical skills on how to use GIS to overcome the major challenges faced during phases of a disease outbreak, surveillance, and monitoring.
Participants will acquire hands-on skills in the use of Geographic Information System (GIS) as a tool to capture, store, analyze, manage, and visualize disease cases data that is geographically linked.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is targeted at professionals who require knowledge and skills on the use of GIS and RS in their organization in the field of risk management. Participants are welcome from a broad range of organizations including physical planning, institutions, professionals and private GIS and RS related firms.
Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to develop a key understanding of the different components of a GIS and the role GIS plays in solving epidemiological and animal health related problems.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Module 1:Basic GIS concepts
- Basic GIS concepts and terminologies
- Introduction to spatial information
- Introduction to Epidemiology concepts
- Introduction to GIS in disease surveillance
- Planning for a GIS system installation
- Working with a GIS software
Module 2: GIS data sources, data collection and integration techniques for Risk mapping
- Data sources for disease information mapping
- Mobile data collection using ODK.
- Data collection using handheld GPS devices
- Integrating GPS and ODK data into a GIS environment
Module 3: Disease Vulnerability and Risk Assessment using GIS
- Types and methods of risk assessment, risk evaluation, cost-benefit analysis.
- Assessment of elements at risk using GIS.
- Application of GIS in Multi-criteria analysis in vulnerability assessment.
- GIS in mapping disease causing vector location and distribution
Module 4: Application of Risk Information for Risk Reduction Planning
- Visualization of risk information
- Risk mapping
- Disease monitoring
Spatial Mapping and Visualization in disease surveillance
- GIS mapping of priority public health problems
- GIS mapping of most at risk populations
- Creating a risk map
Module 5: GIS for monitoring in Epidemiology and public health
- GIS in Disease transmission and progression mapping
- GIS as a Decision Support System for Public Health Management (What, where, when, how and why analysis)
- Use of GIS in disease surveillance
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Tel: +254 (0) 739167709.
Email: training @versedpro.com
- 11 March
- 22 March
- Event Category:
- Africa, Central and the Great lakes
- Appleton Resort Westlands
- Nairobi, Nairobi Kenya + Google Map
- +254 (0) 739167709.