- This event has passed.
GIS Application in Disaster Risk Reduction Course
3 December 2018 - 7 December 2018
Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) have improved prospects for solving technical problems through the use of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for hazard mapping and modeling, the use of web-based data sources to facilitate research on disaster management and the use of searchable databases for hazard information. Not all Caribbean countries, however, have been able to fully utilize these opportunities.
This course aims to impart practical skills on how to use GIS, to overcome the major challenges faced in all phases of disaster management.
WHO IS THIS TRAINING INTENDED FOR?
The training is intended for professionals working in development areas mostly in DRM related fields.
Upon completion of the training, the participants will be able to describe and utilize spatial data through manipulating it in the phases of pre disaster, during disaster and post disaster.
Disaster Management Concepts and Institutional Framework
- Basic GIS concepts and terminologies in the context of disaster management.
- International and Regional Protocols and action plans relating to disaster risk management.
- Introduction to spatial information
Introduction to Geoinformatics, GIS data sources, and data collection
- Geographic Information System
- Data sources for DRM
- Data collection using Global Positioning Systems
- Data collection using Mobile Data Collection (ODK)
- Introducing GIS functions using QGIS
- Preparation of Earthquake Hazard Map
Hazard, Vulnerability and Risk assessment with QGIS
- Types and methods of risk assessment, risk evaluation, vulnerability analysis.
- Spatial data preparation and GIS integration techniques in Microsoft Excel
- Use of GIS in disaster preparedness planning.
- Elements at risk, hazard and vulnerability assessment using GIS.
- GIS Multi criteria analysis in vulnerability assessment.
- Group discussion: How can GIS and RS be used to map existing buildings, infrastructure, land use and critical facilities located in potential hazard areas.
Application of Risk Information for Risk Reduction Planning
- Visualization of risk information Using QGIS
- Risk mapping and database generation using QGIS
- Exercise: Creating a risk map
- Discussion: Use of GIS in the identification of the extent and magnitude of each hazard.
Applications of Geoinformation
- Disaster Scope, Examples & Advancements
- Introduction to Quantum GIS (open source)
Global and National Initiatives
- Overview of The Disaster Management Support Programme
- Key International and Regional Initiatives
- Disaster Management Planning and Emergency Response Case Studies
Public Participatory GIS and Disaster Risk Management
- Participatory GIS as a tool for DRM mapping.
- Use of Google Maps and Google Earth in DRM.
- Community crisis mapping Using Ushahidi.
GIS for Post Disaster Damage Assessment
- Flood inundation Mapping
- Preliminary Flood Damage Assessment
- All our courses can be Tailor-made to participants needs
- The participant must be conversant with English
- Presentations are well guided, practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are expert with more than 10years of experience.
- Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with Foscore development center certificate (FDC-K)
- Training will be done at Foscore development center (FDC-K) center in Nairobi Kenya. We also offer more than five participants training at requested location within Kenya, more than ten participant within east Africa and more than twenty participant all over the world.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training. Participants will be responsible for their own travel expenses and arrangements, airport transfers, visa application dinners, health/accident insurance and other personal expenses.
- Accommodation, pickup, freight booking and Visa processing arrangement, are done on request, at discounted prices.
- One year free Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
- Register as a group of more than two and enjoy discount of (10% to 50%) plus free five hour adventure drive to the National game park, in Nairobi.
- Payment should be done two week before commence of the training, to FOSCORE DEVELOPMENT CENTER account, so as to enable us prepare better for you.
- For any enquiry at: or +254712260031
- Website: www.fdc-k.org