- This event has passed.
Food Security, Safety and Quality Training
25 June - 29 June
Food security exists when all people have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life at all times. Food insecurity, on the other hand, is part of a continuum that includes hunger (food deprivation), malnutrition (deficiencies, imbalances, or excesses of nutrients), and famine. This training program is therefore designed to act as a guide on how to ensure access to safe and quality food is one of the human rights as well as a sustainable development goal.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is intended for various actors in Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture.
At the end of the training, the learner will be able to:
- Understand basic skills in food security, safety, and quality.
- Understand the classification of food into different food groups.
- Understand what constitutes an adequate diet and optimal feeding to children.
- Understand the relationship between nutrition and health.
- Gain skills in cross-cutting issues in food security, quality, and safety.
- Understand the role of technology in the realization of food security, quality, and safety.
FOOD SECURITY, SAFETY & QUALITY TRAINING CONTENT
Module 1: Food & Nutrition Security
- Food, nutrition, and nutrients
- Balanced diet and child feeding
- Food and nutrition security
- Challenges in attaining food security
Module 2: Nutrition & Health
- Causes of undernutrition
- Forms of undernutrition
- Wider impact of undernutrition
- Family and community prevention of undernutrition
- Tips for optimal infant and young child feeding
- Nutrition during pregnancy & breastfeeding
- Food security and nutrition with a focus on HIV-affected households
- Disease prevention & sanitation and hygiene
Module 3: Food Safety, Storage & Preservation
- The concept of food safety and hygiene
- Food storage and preservation
- Food safety programs
- Interpretation and application
- Food premises and equipment
- Food poisoning
- Food defense and emergency response
Module 4: Food Quality
- General concepts of food quality management
- Quality control process characteristic to agri-food production
- Classifications of quality systems
- Quality assurance
Module 5: Cross-Cutting Issues
- Linking food aid and pro-poor growth
- Food security and the human right to food
- Responding to the challenges of climate change and its linkages to food security and nutrition
- Mainstreaming food security and nutrition in poverty reduction strategies/policies
- Closing the gap – linking food security information to effective decision-making
Module 6: Technology application in Food &Nutrition Security
- ICT and Mobile technology application in food and nutrition security
- Integration of GIS and RS in food & nutrition security
- Food biotechnology and emerging nutritional diseases
- Nutritional biostatistics, data analysis, and decision making
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us on
Tel: +254 (0) 739167709.
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact us below.
Mob: +254 7739167709